Our lives have been totally changed with the changing environmental development. Over the last few decades, we have totally changed our life style. Our living, our working area, and working tools, modes of transportation, medical aids, and communication mediums all have reached to the top of the world. Now, we don’t need to walk for longer distances to reach our working spaces or to go out to meet our friends and relatives.
With the developing technologies, we have developed different modes of transportation which causes less pollution, are convenient, and affordable. Our engineers have developed vehicles that run on solar light, CNG, and electricity. These inventions have totally changed our way of living. Since with the going on development we will sure to have some intelligent mediums of transportation which may reduce the problems of pollution and heavy traffic jams in the metro cities.
Before going forward the first thing you need to know is that what does ITS actually means and what are their benefits?
ITS (Intelligent Transport System) is actually the combination of information and communication technology for transporting infrastructure and vehicles so that it could provide you safety, reliability, efficiency, and quality.
What are the benefits of ITS?
ITS actually meant for optimized transportation mediums which help in saving your time and fuel consumption. Moreover, these transportation mediums are more safe and reliable than others. The best part of these transportation mediums is that these are not restricted to roads only. These technologies can be used to develop road, rail as well as water transportation so that the passengers could enjoy the ride and have a safe and reliable journey for their destination place.
5 Future Intelligent Transportation Applications
- Emergency vehicle notification systems: These systems are being installed to the vehicles for the situation of emergencies. These eCalls are generally generated by the passengers of the vehicle of automatically when having an accident. These systems generate an emergency call through voice or data messages to the nearest emergency point so that to get the required and quick help.
- Automatic road enforcement: Automatic road enforcement systems are the traffic enforcement camera systems which are used for monitoring the running vehicles. These vehicles help in detecting the speed limit of the vehicles and also check whether the driver of the vehicle is following the traffic rules or not. We use different types of automatic road enforcement systems for this purpose. Some of these are Red light cameras, traffic light, bus lane, level crossing, and high occupancy vehicle lane.
- Variable speed limits: We can use variable speed limits with the changing roads and congestion so that to reduce the road accidents and ensure the safety of the passengers and other people moving on roads. Some of the jurisdictions have fixed various speed limits for different roads in their countries. Roads having high traffic and crowds have been set to have lower speed limits but the empty roads have largest speed limits.
- Dynamic traffic light sequence: Dynamic traffic light sequence RFID has been introduced to lower down the chances of being a collision. This traffic light sequence includes beam and interruption techniques which can be easily applied on the multi-road junction, roads which include multiple vehicle and multiple lanes to work out the passage of each column.
- Collision avoidance systems: New techniques have been evolved which includes collision avoidance systems to reduce the chances of collision. These systems include sensors which need to be installed on the highways so that the motorists can easily recognize that some car is stalled ahead. These systems have been recently used by Japan which has surprisingly reduced the accident cases in a very lesser time.